Krakow UNESCO City of Literature launch a new Writer Residency Programme
application closing date
Wednesday 15th March, 2017
Friday 31st March, 2017
Krakow UNESCO City of Literature is launching its very own residency programme for young and emerging writers!
The Krakow UNESCO City of Literature Residency Programme is dedicated to young and emerging writers from the Cities of Literature of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network. Modelled on the highly successful and wonderful Prague residency, the Krakow programme is designed for writers between the ages of 25-45 from the Cities of Literature.
The Programme aims to promote the Cities of Literature Network, provide writers with a platform to showcase their work and talent to a Central European audience, support greater diversity of voices and literatures on the Polish and Central European book market and offer local writers the chance to create links with international writers as well.
The Residency Programme is a strategic project of the Krakow UNESCO City of Literature Program, operated by the Krakow Festival Office, which will fulfil the priority of strengthening international cooperation in the field of literature and the creative industries.
In 2017 the Residency Program in Krakow will offer writers a one-month stay at the Villa Decius, official partner of the project with years of experience running international residencies, including the Visegrad Literary Residency Program and the ICORN Residency Program. They will also offer a stipend of 2500 PLN gross and cover transportation costs to and from Krakow. The Krakow Festival Office will guarantee residents the opportunity to participate in the literary life of the city and help to develop opportunities for them to promote their works in Poland. Villa Decius in Krakow
Resident writers will be asked to write a text (work of fiction or non-fiction) that will feature the City of Krakow (min. 6 000 to max. 11 000 characters with spaces) in some fashion and will be used in a future, published collection for promotional purposes.
Online application form
Fragment of a published text (in Polish or English) or a fragment of a translation (in Polish). No more than 2 pages in length.
Biography (No more than 1 page in length)
- This residency is limited to writers between the ages of 25 – 45 from the UNESCO Cities of Literature.
- Upper intermediate level of spoken English.
- At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), screenplay, theatre script or translation into Polish by the applicant.
- Interest in the Central European region
- Readiness to participate in the literary life of Krakow, including events, meetings, promotional interviews and engagements, festivals, where applicable.
- Work on a literary project during the residency.
- In 2017 Krakow wish to welcome one writer for a 1 month period in May, June, and October. This will give a total of three writers in 2017.
- Krakow will be accepting applications till March 15th for all the possible residency terms this year (May, June, October). Results of the call will be announced by March 31st.
- Nottingham UNESCO City of Literature team are not involved in the selection process, but we will support and champion your application.